Let’s face it: Winter break can get boring. Sure, it’s fun to be away from school, but what can you do at home? Usually we just sit around all day, maybe watch some TV, and are overall bored. Here are some things you can do to combat boredom over winter break.
- Watch a great movie. There are plenty of awesome movies out there that are either holiday themed or winter themed. A few suggestions are the movies “Elf”, “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas”, and many more. You can also watch a movie that’s not related to winter, such as the Harry Potter Series, or Marvel movie. Invite a couple of friends over to watch with you so you can all enjoy a movie together.
- Try a new winter recipe. Lots of people bake cookies over break for the holidays. You could bake some gingerbread cookies and frost them with cool colors and decorate them with sprinkles and candies. You could also try a new hot cocoa recipe. Be creative with your cooking. Have your family taste test what you make.
- Go outside. Yes, it may be cold outside, but when there’s snow, you have to take advantage. Go sledding on the nearest hill. Make a snowman. Have a snowball fight with friends and family. Just make sure you dress warmly with a hat, gloves, winter coat, and other garments.
- Snuggle up with a good book. When it’s cold, sometimes the best thing to do is snuggle up on your couch with a few blankets, maybe a pet, and just read for hours on end. This allows your eyes to take a break from screens, and it’s relaxing. Maybe while you read, you’ll fall asleep and take a nice nap.
- Hang out with friends. Try to get together with your friends over the break. If you stay huddled in your room too long, you’ll feel lonely. Humans need human interaction to survive. Plan to go get a bite to eat at a local restaurant, have a sleepover, play video games or anything else you may want to do. Even if you don’t want to hang out with your friends, after you do, you won’t regret it.
By Mia Braico