One of the most crazy and unpredictable election cycles in recent memory will come to a close on November 8th, when citizens across the USA will vote for either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton for their next President. In this final election preview, I will summarize the views of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, how they got to where they are today, and who will probably win.
Hillary Clinton Path to Nominee:
- Entered race as the favorite not only to win the Democratic nominee but also to become President.
- Main competition was from Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, a self-described socialist who gave Hillary much stiffer competition than expected.
- Sanders eventually threw in the towel in June, but many say his campaign helped push Hillary to support more leftist policies.
- Although Hillary won the Democratic nomination, she entered the general election as one of the least-liked Democratic candidates ever.
Donald Trump Path to Nominee:
- Entered race as basically a joke
- Tapped into a growing populist movement and became much more popular than expected.
- Shocking not only America but the entire world, Trump then proceeded to beat out 16 other Republican candidates running for President and became the Republican nominee.
- Although he won the Republican Party nomination, Trump is at at odds with many members of the Republican leadership, including Paul Ryan.
Hillary Clinton Views:
- Wants immigration reform, does not support deporting illegal immigrants.
- Completely supports abortion.
- Wants stronger gun control.
- Wants to raise taxes on the wealthiest Americans, while giving tax reliefs to lower-income families.
- Wants to also get rid of corporate tax loopholes .
- Supports Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and wants equal and affordable health care for all.
- Wants an economy “That works for everyone, not just the ones on the top”.
- Supports less and more effective standardized tests for schools.
Donald Trump Views:
- “Americans First”
- Also wants immigration reform, but in a very different way.
- Wants to deport all illegal immigrants from the country.
- Suggested that maybe America should ban Muslims from entering the country .
- Wants to build a huge wall between America and Mexico, and “make Mexico pay for it”
- Does not support abortion unless it is rape, incest, or the mother’s life is at risk.
- Does support Planned Parenthood, however.
- Against gun control.
- Wants business tax rate cut, and the individual tax rate to be split up into only three brackets.
- Wants healthcare for all, but completely hates Obamacare.
- Wants an economy that is focused on Americans, by creating more jobs at home and re-negotiating trade deals.
Chances of Winning:
- Five Thirty Eight puts Hillary at a 66.1% chance of winning the election
- The swing states are Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
- Hillary is leading in 8 of these 11 states, including Wisconsin.
- Hillary is the statistical favorite to win the 2016 Presidential election.
– Amit Rajesh